This one has a bunch of options, but you can always try making these substitutions:
- 3 portobellos for a half pound of any mushroom; try shiitake for extra-meaty taste
- 1½ tablespoons nutritional yeast for 1 tablespoon Marmite
- Tapioca starch for potato starch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce for 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
This burger is best made thin, topped with your favorite vegan cheese slice and your favorite burger toppings! Whip up some of my favorite spicy mayo burger topping.
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon tabasco chipotle sauce
- ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon finely minced onions
- Mix everything together in a bowl
- ¼ YELLOW ONION
- 1 CAN OF BLACK BEANS (DRAINED AND RINSED)
- 3 TABLESPOONS CANNED CHICKPEAS
- 3 TABLESPOONS CHICKPEA WATER (AQUAFABA)
- 1 TABLESPOON BEET JUICE FROM CAN OF BEETS
- 1–2 TABLESPOONS OF CHOPPED BEET FROM CAN
- ½ TEASPOON GARLIC POWDER
- 1 TEASPOON LIQUID SMOKE
- 1 TEASPOON BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES
- 1 TABLES POON SOY SAUCE
- 3 TABLESPOONS LENTILS FROM CAN (WASHED AND RINSED)
- BONUS ½ TEASPOON MUSHROOM EXTRACT POWDER (FOR ADDED UMAMI)
- ¾ CUP OATS
- 1½ TABLESPOON NUTRITIONAL YEAST
- 2 TABLESPOONS TAPIOCA STARCH (TAPIOCA FLOUR)
- Coarsely chop mushrooms and onion.
- Toss into frying pan with oil over medium heat and give a slight toss.
- Stir mushrooms and onions to make sure they are coated in oil.
- Add the beans, chickpeas, beets, and liquid into a food processor or blender and pulse together.
- Be careful not to over-pulse. You want the mixture to have a rough texture, not smooth.
- Now add your garlic powder, liquid smoke, molasses, and soy sauce into the food processor or blender and quickly pulse. Add your lentils, and mushroom extract if you have it, and briefly pulse.
- Remove mixture from food processor and add to a medium bowl. Now add oats, nutritional yeast, and tapioca starch. Mix together well by hand.
- Heat a skillet over medium to low heat with a small amount of cooking oil (I use olive oil).
- Make patties thin. You want these burgers to be roughly the same thickness as a fast-food burger.
- TIP: Wet your hands with cold water to form patties!
- Season with a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Drop burger patties in skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil. Let cook 3–4 minutes each side. Cook each side only once!